Friday, November 27, 2009

“I’m DD tonight”

I explained why I couldn’t accept his drink, a gloriously truthful excuse.
A wonderful and funny dancer offered to get us a cab and I gently refused and he would get a couple of shots and come back to dance with us. And no one questioned me except Jay, a guy in sushi business who looked like David, ironically sitting next to a guy that looked like Paul. I almost looked around to see an Alvin-alike.
“Right. You can’t or you choose not to?” Jay asked and invited me to go to have Korean BBQ.
"I just ate, but thanks." I really had just had pork bulgogi and spicy soon tofu. And also I barely knew him. 20 minutes tops.

What an experience.
I had never been to such a fun, interesting, clean-danced club.
Velvet Room, a Korean club, opened its doors at around 10pm and I wanted to dance the second I got in. The DJ did an awesome job mixing American pop/hiphop with Korean, and the respective music videos played on 4 big screens. It was impossible to get bored with their music as songs were never played entirely.

As we sat down, our sweet waiter Zen brought us a bottle of whiskey, two coke cans, a fruit platter (delicious pineapple, melon, orange, grapes, watermelon), and cranberry juice with shot glasses, beer glasses, plastic cups, and ice.

Super friendly waiters were busy grabbing and dragging girls to guys’ tables and the guys would offer drinks to girls and start conversations. They call this “booking.” So weird. You should go clubbing while in Korea, Elijah, if you haven’t yet. It’s very different.

The dance floor was fairly big and people weren’t dancing low to the song “Low.” And it took more than 15minutes of dancing in small circles for the guys to TRY to dance right behind me. And with the slightest gesture of “not interested” they would back off and wait for a better timing or find another girl. Security guards were watching out for sexual harassment (I’m assuming) in each side of the dance floor. And oh my…these guys danced with such a style in their chic clothing that I wondered why I hadn’t thought of coming to Korean clubs before.

I loved every second of it until this Brian started getting too close to me. He wasn’t too bad considering I was in a club and it was getting late and people were getting tipsier. But I was having such a great time with my respected space that he bothered me even more.

As much as I loved dancing there, Brian made me realize I was still too naïve to want to go there again. I wish there were dancing places where people solely go to dance and not to hit on girls.
Maybe I will try a salsa club this weekend. There should be a lot more proper dancing involved there. I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a club yet, but maybe I'll hit one up over break. I'm sure that it'd be a bit of a different experience than my normal life here at Kosin. Last night I went to a noribong and some of the guys are with were dancing to Rain and 2PM. It was great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 2PM. Anyways, Korean clubs are a better compare to Korean night clubs. I heard night clubs are always about hitting on girls. I don't like that either. Haniya, I miss seeing your moves ^___^ ㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete