Thursday, November 19, 2009

holiness

"F!" I thought and I surprised myself.
What the heck! Did I just think that?
How long before I say that out loud? Dang it.
Without realizing it, I started saying "stupid," "shoot," then "heck," then "dang," then "freaking" and so forth.
"F" and "S" words surround me here that my swearing list might advance.
But I don't want it to.

Christians are called to be holy, so people have their own understanding of how to be visibly different from those "of the world":
Not dancing, not drinking or smoking, not having piercings and tattoos, not swearing, not using modern technology...

"Holiness is not about being nice but it's about being new everyday," said my favorite pastor Tom, and made me reflect on my own understanding of holiness.
I never considered myself holy but I thought I would get there by being nice, when it's really about killing my flesh and being reborn everyday. Set apart for Him, ready to do His will.

"What the heck! This is freaking embarrassing." I said out loud just an hour ago in "Ninja Assassin" premiere. I had been proud of my ethnicity until a couple of hours ago. These Asian girls were screaming and clapping every time Rain was on screen, no matter what he was doing (mostly disgustingly bloody violent stuff. No. I didn't like the film and I knew I wouldn't like it although I secretly hoped I would).
It wasn't necessary. They were super annoying but I didn't have to use those words. I could have just made my face in the darkness and not say those words.
But I did because I keep falling all the time.
Because I've been compromising myself for too long that my standards have been lowered.
Dang it.

3 comments:

  1. How could you watch Rain and not cheer and clap??

    I think you're onto something here. Growing up in a strict household, I couldn't say anything. Fast forward to working at a restaurant and going to college with farmboys (and not being under my parent's roof), and I have seen my language slide. The positive thing is that it's not a one way street. I've noticed that while my language isn't where I'd like it to be, it's not as bad as it once was either. I think a lot of language has been cheapened and so we don't stop and think about what we are saying. "Oh my God!" or even "Oh my Gosh!" still bother me more than "F***"
    I would caution against legalism, and instead challenge ourselves to really think about what we are saying in our speech so we have a reason for change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't justify any use of language...but Martin Luther sure could be "earthy" if we want to use that word.

    Look to Stanley Hauerwas---while I don't agree with Hauerwas on quite a bit of stuff--he's a Christian ethicist at Duke who can be very profane. Can't figure out how to past in here--but look up profane and Hauerwas.

    Fessler

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely would have been the loudest girl cheering and clapping had Rain be dancing on the screen (or better yet, in person) and not brutally slicing people up.

    I am really not against people using big words. I looked up Stanley Hauerwas and read several articles and interviews. My respects. Anne Lamott, one of my favorite writer, also uses that kind of language all the time.

    But I've found out that choosing not to use those words, my "secular" friends have started spiritual conversations with me. They noticed it, and they were wondering why I was different. Not that it is the only thing that other people should notice, it is one of the most visible ways to stand out.

    I say "oh my gosh" frequently without even thinking about it. But now I'm more aware of what I say. And since our words (as followers of Christ) have been given heavenly power, we should be more careful with what we say.

    ReplyDelete