Monday, January 25, 2010

Ellah Acosta

"Aaaa, me voy a morir Andres, me voy a morir."
"No te vas a morir, Vero. Respira."
"No si, si me voy a morir. Aaaa ya ya ya ya"
And I just stood there thinking I was never going to have a baby.
It was too intense and painful to be in the room. I felt powerless and useless as I couldn't share the pain. So I excused myself and called my mom.

"But what if she really dies? What about the baby? What about Andres? What should I do? What can I do?" I was freaking out.
"I said that too twice and I'm still alive. She'll be fine, don't worry," said my mom so calmly and naturally. I wanted to believe her but the painful moans and screams were more real to me.
Time went by too slow. When I first got the news that she might have the baby today, I was simply excited. Then nervous. Then worried. Then anxious.

It was 2:30pm and we all thought the baby would be born at around 10 or 11pm. Vero and Andres had been in the hospital since 7am. And apparently, Vero was about to die--or so she screamed. And she gave birth to Ellah Acosta at 3:48pm. Ana and Tazz came at 4pm and we waited together in the family lounge. We talked about how Mimi would have loved to be there with us and how beautiful the baby was going to be (also how beautiful Ana's baby would be if she had one). And we were right. Ellah Acosta (middle name to be determined yet) was beautiful.7 lbs 10 oz. 21.5 inches.

I couldn't stop smiling in awe. And when I finally managed to take my eyes off Ellah, I noticed how exhausted yet relieved her parents looked. Parents. Suddenly Andres and Vero seemed so much more mature than me.

"Your family is complete now!" I said joyfully.
"No...one is still missing," Andres said looking at Ellah lovingly.
"No, Andres. It is complete. I never wanna go through the labor again," Vero said, still in pain.
Andres stayed in silence smiling. "We'll see," his smile seemed to say.

We thanked God for Ellah was born healthy and strong, and not with six fingers (Andres' fear) or three fingers (Vero's fear). We thanked God for Vero's hunger and pain, reminding us that she was, after all, still alive.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I am so excited the baby is here!! I seen you posted this on Mimi's facebook, and had to check your blog out!! What a great play by play! Altho I was worried you would keep writing in spanish! Ellah is beautiful, just like her parents!! I feel bad for Mimi not being around!
    Take Care,
    Love, Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haniya, thank you for jotting down all the details. I'm sooo happy for both of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hani querida!
    no sabes que gusto me da que estuviste alli para presenciarlo y apoyarlos!! Me hubiera encantado estar ahi!! los quiero a todos!! Por favor dales un abrazote a los papas de mi parte y un besote a la nena!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely story, Hani. what a beautiful child. Congrats to the Acostas!

    -kk-

    ReplyDelete
  5. bahahahha! que lindura! uchaaaa... no me las aguanto por conocerla! juajaujauaj pobre vero.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andres and Vero,
    My heart is seriously overflowing with joy and happiness for the both of you. I can't even tell you how happy I am!! Crystal sent me a picture right away and I immediately wished I could've been there with you to help celebrate!!! I AM SO EXCITED TO MEET HER!!!!! What a beautiful family...seriously, what a blessing!!! :) AHHHH!!!!! THIS IS SO COOL!!!!:) Im so happy for you two!!! YAY!!! :) OH! And for the middle name...I'm thinking Sonya....what do u think about that? LOL! ;) (but not kidding--jeje). Again, to the both of you....mad congrats to the proudest parents I know!:) I luv you both very much!!!:) God bless the new addition to the family!!! She is a gem!:) Love you all.

    P.S.- Thanks for the story...i could just imagine the whole scene! It was great!:)

    *With much love,

    Sonya B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Estoy tan contenta por uds. Quisiera haber estado alli para compartir ese momento. Gracias Hani por tu redaccion tan detallada. Comparto su amor y felicidad por esta hermosa bebe. Les mando abrazos y muchas bendiciones. Que Dios se su guìa en esta nueva etapa que emprenden. Son una hermosa familia!

    Georgina A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....Praise God. I can't leave it at that now can I? What an awesome sense of responsibility. I can't wait to meet her someday soon. A hearty congratulations and happy birthday to Ellah.
    ~Luke C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hani,
    pense que lo habia escrito, pero de verdad que linda redaccion! Tal como paso y como me sentia, pero bueno. No me mori, hehe, y Ellah tiene casi dos meses, manana es su cumple! :D Que rapido pasa el tiempo. Te deseo que llegues bien alto en tu carrera. Como journalist serias genial!

    ReplyDelete