Friday, November 12, 2010

downtown art walk

I got a condom for the first time. For free.

If Miracle Mile art walk got me free entry to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Arts), downtown art walk displayed all sorts of art in its living form. Not losing sight of the friends in the midst of the busy streets itself was an art.

As soon as Isis pointed at her favorite building in downtown, my favorite Jay-Z song, "Empire State of Mind" started playing in the food trucks lot we were heading to. Surrounded by skyscrapers' lights, the unusual chill breeze, and inspired by the sweet melody, I felt like I was in New York. Then the oh-so-yummy smell. The lot was full of food trucks, and as Joe put it, it was about which ethnicity to go with--Argentine, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, American, Greek, Brazilian, Italian--all in fusion trucks (for instance, you'd ask "wanna try Korean taco or Vietnamese taco?" instead of, "you want beef taco or chicken taco?"). Not only were there meal trucks, but also boba tea truck, dessert truck, smoothie truck, among others. I could not have asked for more. And ironically, here is where Peter and I decided to try Dtox for 10 days, to go with a healthier diet. Just like good Los Angelinos.



Few photography, fun modern sculptures, cool pottery, distinctive drawings, awesome recycled art, and as usual for me, incomprehensible paintings. As if the art work display and music performances in galleries and on the streets were not enough, this culture salad of a city showcased a wide variety of people and their lifestyles. A group of people chanted, drumming, hopping around the streets in their distinctive clothing, a barber shop cranking hip hop with a DJ, hosting a dance party, many many people handing out flyers of their upcoming event or for the cause they believe in.

"Free cotton! Free cotton!"
I heard, and I happily accepted one.
"What is this?" I opened it looking for the cotton, nowhere to be found.
But there was something else, with something that read: Planned Parenthood.
"That's what they say," Joe said.

No comments:

Post a Comment