Friday, August 14, 2009

Gillette

I never named the Honda.
Jackie had taken "Hani the Honda" and Sarah and I were brainstorming several names for our own Hondas. But I never got a fitting name for my car, mostly because I never thought it as mine. Or didn't want it to be mine. I wanted a problemless car to be mine.
I've had several problems with that car that I had gotten to the point that I was freaking out with the sound of crickets, thinking the noise was coming from the car. Lately on my way to Omaha, the "ABS" sign popped on, and then I lost the fill cap. Not the car's fault, but I still blame it.

And to that nameless car, I gladly said goodbye.

We (with Sam, who had arrived to Rapid City safely) were on our way to Sheridon, WY, where we had a room reserved. We stopped to get gas in Gillette, and decided to grab some food there. When I got out of Walmart with some soda cans, I was excited to eat and finally get a good sleep on a bed. My dad had parked the car. The entire family was outside, waiting for...me? The hood was open. My dad was looking at the engine. Some locals were looking at it, too. My heart started racing. Gosh, I hated that car. I joined the crew and looked at it. Smoke. Melted anti-freezer container. Greenish liquid. Again.

It was 8:30pm, and all autoshops were closed. I called the insurance to see what my options were. Meanwhile, this angelic local couple with tattoos and cigarrettes offered us a ride to a hotel that was close by and gave us a list of autoshops we could go the next day. So that's what we did. The Holiday Inn in Sheridon wouldn't reimburse anything or transfer us to a Holiday Inn in town, so we went to the closest hotel that this local guy took us. My dad and Sam walked to the car next morning and went to the autoshop that the guy had told us about. I get a call from Sam. It's the head gasket. Again! It would take about a week to fix it. Of couse. Now these were our options:
a) Leave the car with the mechanic to get it fixed, rent a car and go to Yellowstone to meet another family, and my dad driving back to return the rent car and get the fixed car.
b) Trade the car with anything that the mechanic would have.
c) Try to sell the car and buy another one.
d) Leave the car and think the rest.

After 3 hours of talking and weighing the options, this sainty mechanic, Harry, offered us a '96 Toyota Avalon that he had put together to give to his son. He had been in Cancun two years ago and loved it. He would like to go there again for a week and rest on the beach. His brother-in-law lives in Sioux Falls. It almost broke his heart when my dad finally said that he was just going to leave the car there.

So now, we were driving a Toyota to Yellowstone. The way to Yellowstone was mesmerizing. Some roads reminded me of Chiapas (Mexico), except that they were better-paved and less junglelike. I was glad that I was driving peacefully in this Toyota. Everything worked better although it looked a lot worse. But I liked this car right away and as a family, we named it "Gillette."

Today as we were driving out of Yellowstone, on a construction road, Gillette started making noises whenever my dad pressed accelerator. But no hatred. I was told that we could make it to LA like this. No regrets. At least my parents are here. At least we can get to LA. At least we are with good friends we met up in Yellowstone. At least we are not driving the other maroon, nameless Honda. At least this is Gillette, and I trust it completely for reasons I don't know.

3 comments:

  1. I had to take a deep breathe several times while reading this. Argh!!! Hondas aren't supposed to break down like that. Toyotas will last for years and years though. Can you put pictures up?

    D-9 wins. Obviously. Look who you're talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! I never expected that Honda would give you so much trouble...I'm glad you guys made it to L.A.

    I like the name Gillette. Have a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alvin, you said that about Hondas, too. And look what happened..Heard D-9 was good..great.

    ReplyDelete